Best baby bottles for gas and colic prevention- are you looking for them?
Nothing can hurt you more than the cry of your baby. It is very stressful for the parents to see tears in the eyes of their little one because of pain. If the reason for their discomfort is gas, colic, or acid reflux, you may not know that how to help them.
A baby suffering from acid reflux or colic needs extreme care, and it is required that you pay attention to the use of the right feeding bottle for the little one.
Fortunately, some products are available in the market that can help you if your baby is bottle feeding. Anti-colic bottles are not a lie, and in this article, I’m going to tell you about some of the best baby bottles for gas and colic prevention.
Read More: Your Ultimate Baby Registry Checklist
Table of Contents
- 1 Who Needs to Use an Anti-Colic Bottle?
- 2 Some of the Best Baby Bottles for Gas and Colic Prevention
- 3 Dr. Brown’s Original Wide-Neck Bottle Baby Feeding Set
- 4 MAM Easy Start Anti-Colic Bottle
- 5 Philips Avent Anti-colic Bottles for Baby
- 6 Comotomo Baby Bottle
- 7 Evenflo Feeding Glass Premium Proflo Vented Plus Bottles
- 8 Playtex Ventaire Baby Bottle
- 9 NUK Simply Natural Baby Bottle
- 10 Munchkin Latch BPA-Free Baby Bottle Set
- 11 Tommee Tippee Advanced Anti-Colic Newborn Baby Bottle Feeding Set
- 12 Nanobebe Breastmilk Bottle
- 13 Things You Need to Consider While Looking for Best Anti-Colic Bottles
Who Needs to Use an Anti-Colic Bottle?
The anti-colic bottles are classically beneficial for babies with upset stomachs or gas after feeds. But there is no harm in using these bottles for the babies with no issues.
Therefore, everyone can use these bottles.
Some of the Best Baby Bottles for Gas and Colic Prevention
With so many options already present in the market that claims to be the solution to all of your problems, like the tummy troubles of your babies, and the new ones that are coming up every day, it is tough to choose the best one for your baby.
Remember, some bottles are better than others, and every anti-colic bottle is not for every baby.
After spending uncountable hours in research, talking with other mothers about their experience, and comparing the different brands available in the market, we have assembled the following ten best baby bottles for gas and colic prevention:
read more: Can I Use Bug Spray on My Infant?
Dr. Brown’s Original Wide-Neck Bottle Baby Feeding Set
The internal vent system is the most crucial feature of Dr. Brown’s bottle. Its vent is present in the nipple collar, unlike the other anti-colic bottles that have a vent in the nipple. This venting system helps the moms enjoy vacuum-free feeding, making it one of the best baby bottles for gas and colic prevention.
In addition to reducing the air bubbles in the milk, it also helps prevent the oxidation of nutrients, which ultimately leads to the retention of more vitamins A, C, and E.
Dr. Brown’s anti-colic bottles come with a wide variety of nipple flow options. Hence, there is no problem whether your baby is a preemie or older with a stronger sucking ability.
- The internal vent system ensures no vacuum in the feeding bottles.
- Prevents the loss of nutrients from the milk.
- It is made up of BPA-free material.
- Safe to wash these bottles in the dishwasher.
- It comes with small pieces that need to assemble.
- It isn’t very easy to wash the little pieces thoroughly.
- To avoid spilling, it is important to retain the small caps firmly placed under the cap.
Related: Does Foam in Formula Cause Gas?
MAM Easy Start Anti-Colic Bottle
The MAM anti-colic bottles can be self-sterilized in just 3 minutes in a microwave.
It has a soft and flat nipple that fits easily into the baby’s mouth, which makes it easy for the baby to go from side to side between breastfeeding and bottle feeding without any confusion. The nipple is a silicone material that does not color, taste, or odor.
It is available with different nipple sizes, so you need to be careful about what you want. Sometimes a bottle comes with medium flow nipples, so you need to order a slow flow nipple separately for your baby.
At the bottom of the bottle, air vents are also present. These vents help release the pressure and hence keep the air bubbles away from your baby’s milk and decrease the chances of colic, gas, and upset tummy.
According to the studies, the acceptance rate of the MAM bottles among babies is about 94%, and about 80% of parents reported that the single use of these bottles could reduce colic in babies.
- You can use the microwave for its sterilization, and the self-sterilizing ability ensures the proper cleaning of each part.
- Its patented vented base helps prevent the issues of tummy, such as gas and colic.
- It comes with a cap that doubles up and serves the purpose of a measuring cup too.
- The bottles are made from BPA and BPS-free material and do not cause any harm to the babies.
- To avoid leakage, it’s important to properly check the bottom’s attachment.
- In the absence of proper cleaning, mold growth is possible.
- According to some parents, the nipple’s flow is fast for some babies that drink slowly.
Philips Avent Anti-colic Bottles for Baby
The air flex venting system of Philips Avent’s anti-colic bottles is specifically designed to decrease the issues of gas and colic. It prevents the buildup of air inside the feeding bottles. When the baby drinks, the valve flexes and hence allows the movement of the air inside the bottle instead of the baby’s mouth.
The extra-soft silicone material is used for the nipples. The shape and ridged texture of the nipples prevent them from collapsing during feeding.
It is not difficult to clean these bottles because of the few parts and wide neck. Moreover, you can also clean it in a dishwasher.
An additional feature of these bottles is their compatibility with the remaining Avent line. Therefore, if you have other bottles, toddler cups, or nipples, you can also use them as they are interchangeable.
When we compared anti-colic bottles vs. regular bottles, these anti-colic bottles tend to decrease the night-time fussiness of babies by over 60%.
- The classic design of the anti-colic valve of the bottle prevents the air from entering into the baby’s mouth.
- The bottle has a wide neck that makes it easy to pour the powdered formula milk into the bottle without messing anything.
- Nipples are designed in such a way that prevents them from collapsing.
- Safe to wash with the help of a dishwasher.
- It is clinically tested.
- The milk flow through the nipple is fast for newborn babies.
- Some parents have the issue of leakiness.
- These are expensive.
Comotomo Baby Bottle
Comotomo baby bottles are designed specifically to mimic a lactating mother’s breast. So, it is straightforward for the baby to go back and forth between breast and bottle.
An inbuilt double venting system is present in Comotomo bottles that are very helpful in removing air from the nipple. Therefore, during feeding, it will help prevent gas and spit-up issues.
Bottle and nipple are made up of silicon that is 100 percent safe and hygienic for the baby. Moreover, it is straightforward for the baby to grab the soft silicon body of the bottle, just like a breast. The milk flows quickly when the bottle is squeezed and allows the baby to feed correctly.
Because of all these specialties, Comotomo baby bottles maintained the best seller position on Amazon (as selected by the moms).
- It is safe to wash all four parts of the Comotomo baby bottle in a dishwasher.
- Because of its flexibility, it provides the natural feel of the lactating mother’s breast to the baby.
- For self-feeding, handles are also available.
- The right slow-flow nipple for babies up to 3 months of age comes with only one hole.
- Comotomo baby bottles are easy to clean because of their minimal parts and wide neck.
- It is not easy to see the volume markers on the bottle.
- Sometimes, the flexible body makes it challenging for the baby to hold.
Evenflo Feeding Glass Premium Proflo Vented Plus Bottles
Evenflo Feeding Glass Premium Proflo Vented Bottles bottles are another great option for both breastfeeding and bottle-feeding mothers.
These are made up of glass and ensure colic-free feeding. Moreover, these are also leak-proof.
The nipples are made from an FDA-approved food-grade material, which is 100 percent safe for babies.
There are scales on the bottle for dual volume measurements, and therefore the measurement of water is not difficult.
- The glass used for the manufacturing of these bottles is recyclable.
- A dual marker is present for the volume.
- It is straightforward to clean and assemble the bottle.
- It is a little bit difficult to remove the cover.
- The hole of the nipple is big for newborn babies, so they cannot use them.
Playtex Ventaire Baby Bottle
Playtex Ventaire Baby bottle has an angled shape so the baby can drink in an upright feeding position while you can hold the bottle comfortably.
The micro-vents present at the bottom of the bottle allows the air to bubble in when the baby drinks. In this way, it prevents the bottle from becoming a vacuum.
The bottle is made from BPA, PVC, and phthalate-free material.
- These bottles are very comfortable to hold.
- It is straightforward to clean them.
- To warm this bottle in a bottle warmer is not a good option because of its shape.
Related: Does Foam in Formula Cause Gas?
NUK Simply Natural Baby Bottle
NUK simply natural baby bottles are a trustworthy option for mothers whose babies juggle between formula feeding and breastfeeding.
The multiple holes of the nipple mimic how milk comes out of a mother’s breast. Moreover, it also prevents air from entering the baby’s mouth while sucking.
These anti-colic bottles make feeding easy, not only for the babies but also for the mothers.
- These NUK simply natural baby bottles have an advanced anti-colic system.
- Nipples are designed in a way that makes them feel natural.
- Safe for the babies.
- Resist the stains and odor.
- These are very easy to clean.
- For cleaning the inner part of the nipples, a nipple brush is required.
- To remove the spill-proof lid, we need to squeeze it.
Munchkin Latch BPA-Free Baby Bottle Set
Munchkin Latch BPA-Free bottle for baby is highly recommended, and in 2015, it was awarded as “Best bottle chosen by mothers.”
It has an anti-colic valve to stop the air bubbles from entering into the baby’s mouth and prevent spit-up, gas, and colic.
As the name indicates, the material used to manufacture nipples, bottles, and sealing discs is BPA-free, so it is safe for the baby.
It ensures proper latching and feeding by mimicking the lactating mother’s breast.
- It is safe to wash in the dishwasher, so cleaning is not a problem.
- The nipple has stretchability that guarantees proper latching.
- It pumps just like the natural breast.
- These bottles are expensive.
Tommee Tippee Advanced Anti-Colic Newborn Baby Bottle Feeding Set
The nipple of the Tommee Tippee Advanced feeding bottle is designed in such a way to ensure the natural latch for your little one.
Its anti-colic system decreases the chances of spit-up, gas, and colic and makes the feeding time comfortable for the baby.
It is BPA-free and phthalate-free, so it is safe for the baby.
It comes with heat sensor technology, which indicates the temperature of the milk.
- It ensures to decrease the colic and other feeding problems by up to 80 %.
- Its venting system is exclusive.
- Has a heat sensor.
- It is not safe to wash it in a dishwasher.
- Some parents complain about the issues of leaking.
Nanobebe Breastmilk Bottle
These nanobebe breastmilk bottles can be used for multiple tasks such as to pump, warm, store, and feed.
The brand also carries a breast pump adapter to pump into the bottles directly.
The bottles are suitable for storage purposes because of their shape. They are also ideal for the small hands of your little one because of their small size.
To prevent the milk from the growth of bacteria, it quickly cools the milk. Additionally, the large surface area guarantees that your breast milk or formula milk heats up even and about two times faster than the regular bottles.
- It is good to use these bottles for storage because of their stackable design.
- It is compatible with different breast pumps, and because of a special adapter, you can directly pump into the bottle.
- It is straightforward to use and clean this bottle.
- It is expensive compared to other bottles.
- It is hard for the parents to tell when the baby is done because the bottom is unclear.
Things You Need to Consider While Looking for Best Anti-Colic Bottles
When buying the best baby bottles for gas and colic prevention, you need to remember the following points:
Material of the bottle
Baby bottles can be made from different types of material, including silicon, glass, stainless steel, and BPA-free plastic. Although one is not certainly better than the others in reducing gas, there are differences in the stability, endurance, and whether they can mimic the feel of a natural breast or not.
The plastic Playtex liners can eject air as baby drinks, so they have an advantage in removing gas.
Features of reducing gas and colic
Some of the features of anti-colic bottles that you must need to consider are:
- Material that collapses when baby feeds
- Anti-colic valve system
- Nipple with vent
- Slow flow nipple
Side to side feeding from breast and bottle
If your baby is back and forth feeding between breast and bottle, then it is essential to look for a bottle that mimics the experience of breastfeeding. In addition to reducing the gas, it will help ease your baby’s transition and avoid nipple confusion.
Breastmilk or formula milk
Primarily anti-colic bottles work well for both breastmilk and formula milk. However, in the case of formula milk, the job is a little bit trickier.
Usually, most gas is produced because of formula milk compared to breast milk. Formula milk requires more time for digestion, and its proper mixing also matters. And for appropriate mixing, blending and shaking are needed, which means more air bubbles.
Therefore, combining an anti-colic formula with an anti-colic bottle with a fantastic venting system is essential to avoid tummy issues.
The complex designs of the bottles make it challenging to clean and make the already busy life busier. Therefore, look for simplicity in the designs while looking for the best baby bottles for gas and colic prevention.
In conclusion, these are some of the best baby bottles for gas and colic prevention. These reviews will help you buy the one that works well for you and your little one.
Remember, every type of baby bottle is not fit for every baby. So, if one bottle suits your friend’s baby, it does not mean that it will work for you too.